Monday, February 22, 2016

Should I Include Every Job I Hold On My CV?

I feel it is time for me to reshuffle the work experience section on my resume. This has become necessary because I perceived that employers do have conflicting thought on my work experience.

I actually graduated in the year 2011 but I had gained 6+ years experience from my previous role as a Hotel Receptionist. In 2012, I resigned to participate in the National Service Scheme.

I currently work as a Customer Care Rep with 1+ years experience. I included these jobs in my resume which sum up to 9+ years work experience.

I observed that some people including Interviewers raise eye-brow when they noticed I already had 9+ years experience while I graduated 2011 which I have to start explaining how I gained it. My concern is that not all employers will give me opportunity to explain this.



I feel I need to omit the roles I held before I graduated. Moreover, most people do not include Every Job they've held on their resume.


Excerpt of my work experience as appeared on my resume;
* Volunteer Admin Assistant 2015 - Till Date
* Customer Care Rep 2014 - Till Date
* Teacher-NYSC 2012 - 2013
* Receptionist 2005 - 2012

Recently, I had an interview for a Client Service Officer position and the interviewer noticed the Volunteer role & the Customer Care Rep position. She had to pause and asked why I hold dual employment. I told her the Admin Assistant position in an NGO is an unpaid job and it's part-time. She ended the interview saying; she's going to get back to me. I know that the end of that employment for me.

Will it be necessary I omit the NYSC & Receptionist roles or there's a better way to write them on my resume?
Should I remove the Volunteer position from the work experience?

Do I need to remove unrelated job experiences from my resume whenever I applied for specific job title?

Kindly advice before I commit further blunder.

No comments:

Post a Comment